Monday, May 7, 2012

To medicate or not to medicate, that is the question...

It's pretty typical for parents of children with ADHD to question if the use of medication will help their child.  So...  I guess that makes me "typical"...  


Alex has been taking Ritalin for about five years now.  His prescription has been increased and decreased over time, mostly depending upon the school's ability to handle his hyperness.  (hmmm... "hyperness" doesn't seem to actually be a word, however it is an actual state-of-being)  Anyway, we try to medicate Alex only to the point where he is slowed down enough to think and enjoy life, but not so much as to be a zombie.  Because his hyperness is still quite evident even while taking the medication, I sometimes question if it is really necessary.


Well, my question was answered this weekend!  I slipped up and didn't get his prescription to the "Ritalin" pharmacy before the weekend.  ( a discussion of Alex's 4 medications and 3 different pharmacies  is will be topic in a later blog entry).  We were okay on Saturday, but Sunday he definitively DID NOT have enough meds!  What a crazy day!!  Alex spent the day bouncing off walls and ceilings.  Every time I turned my back on him (for one second!) he was into something!! He emptied the refrigerator 3 times!!  And that was BEFORE we went to church! 

During church, he was up and down and ran all over.  He darted here and there, making sure to pass by the cookie table each time to grab a cookie (or three).  I am so thankful that Cat, our amazing caregiver, was there to lend a hand.


After church, Steve thought it would be fun  to go out to dinner.  He definitely hadn't noticed how hyper Alex actually was.  Dinner was an event, but we made it through.  After dinner, Steve took Alex into the bathroom.  They were in there for what seemed to me a long time.  When they finally came out, they both were covered in water!  Alex couldn't concentrate long enough to wash his hands...  Lots of splashing, not so much washing.


Today, I had to send Alex to school unmedicated.  As soon as the bus came, I made a mad dash for the pharmacy.  At 10am, I finally got to the school with meds in hand.  All the teachers in Alex's class were happy to see me.  


So...  for us, at this point in time, the answer is "yes".   Medication is helpful for Alex at this time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment